Screw advice, please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, thank you for reading this :)
I am building an entertainment wall. I'm planning to build a frame from 2x4s and secure this to the exterior wall. The exterior wall is a cavity wall - red brick outside skin, Thermalite blocks inside skin. I obviously intend to secure the stud wall to the ceiling and floor but I'd like to also put some fasteners into the wall as it's going to hold a few TVs on wall mounts, so there'll be some force exerted - pulling the stud wall away from the masonry wall. Please could you recommend a good way to fix the stud wall to the Thermalite blocks? I've found

DEWALT AERATED CONCRETE ANCHOR NYLON 70MM​

but not sure if these are the best things to use or what to put them with?
thank you!!

Sponsored Links
You should not need to fix a stud frame to a wall. THe load on the frame is vertical.

However if intent .....

Get some polyurethane wood glue - often sold as 5/15/30 minute glue. This expands when curing.
Use a normal plastic plug in the required size hole, squirt a bit of glue in, put the plug in and wait a bit.

Or get some Fischer WetnFix which is a similar concept.

Not sure if I completely understand you- you are planning to build a false wall to hide cables etc, then, if it is the full width of the wall , you can drill in to the adjacent walls rather than the wall behind. The fittings in to the side walls don't need to have such a great load bearing.

Not sure if I completely understand you- you are planning to build a false wall to hide cables etc, then, if it is the full width of the wall , you can drill in to the adjacent walls rather than the wall behind. The fittings in to the side walls don't need to have such a great load bearing.
Yes, I'm building a false wall, which will be a 2x4 stud wall, to hide the cables and also to hold the weight of the TVs etc via the wall mount :)

Ahhh- I didn't know that!! Thank you, I shall do that So on one side I'll be fixing the stud wall to another timber stud wall but on the other side it's still going to be fixed to a thermalite block skin.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I'm building a false wall, which will be a 2x4 stud wall, to hide the cables and also to hold the weight of the TVs etc via the wall mount :)

Ahhh- I didn't know that!! Thank you, I shall do that So on one side I'll be fixing the stud wall to another timber stud wall but on the other side it's still going to be fixed to a thermalite block skin.

It has been years since I did pure and applied A level maths, but as @^woody^ said, most of the loading forces are primarily downwards, and not forward.

The forward shear load is a function of how far the TVs will be from the wall. I am guessing that you aren't hanging 60kg plasma TVs a foot away from the wall.

By all means, fix the other side to the adjacent wall but the fitting for the other side (parallel side) don't need to be as strong as you may have initially thought. You may even be able to use MS polymers to glue the timber to the wall with a couple of regular nylon plugs to pull the timber level/plumb as required.

And if it's a party wall, it's best not to fix to it to get better sound proofing.

Fix the frame around the top, bottom and sides, fit noggins, the boarding will stiffen it all up and it will be like (and as strong as) any other independent stud wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back