Screwdriver for cross head mushroom bolts.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have some cross head mushroom bolts that I need to undo. But I cannot get enough purchase with my biggest screwdriver. I have been looking at buying one to do the job but cannot work out the best tool for the job. Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
Pesky things, aren't they....consider using a cold chisel suitably ground to hold the head, but if they are really stubborn its best to cut them off with an angle grinder.
Hoping they aren't used on plastic, of course!
John :)

The trick with them is to hold down the head with a screwdriver or as John suggests a ground chisel and hope there's enough friction to hold the shaft to turn the nut on the other end...trying to turn with a driver is next to impossible....
litl

Thanks for your replies.

Whilst trying several ways I remembered my dad gave me an old tin saying impact driver. I never really new what it was for but something told me to try it. It turns out to be the ideal tool for the job.

Sponsored Links
I have cut a flat on a large penny washer, and gripped it in a pair of mole grips before.
I have a feeling that a long time ago I used a 2p piece

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back