Screwdrivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi..

For my final A2 Level project, I've decided to re-design a device used on drills (essentially a spring-loaded metal cylinder that extends past the tip of the screwdriver, it stops the screwdriver slipping off the screwhead) so that it can be used on a hand-held screwdriver. The idea being, you can get on with the job in hand , rather than damaging the screwhead (making it bl**dy impossible to get out again!!) or putting an annoyingly huge, really noticeable scratch across the wood, bookcase, chest of drawers, whatever the screw is going into.

So.. does anyone have one of these things on their drill atm? good/bad points about it? is it easy to use? any ideas etc..

Any comments/ideas would be really appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, sounds like the sort of thing they sell at Christmas when people have run out of ideas what to buy!!

Seriously though, I've never heard of such a device being used on drills but I bow to your knowledge on that point.

Nothing wrong with the idea but as far as the practicality goes you'd normally find that you're most prone to slip when you're putting the most pressure onto the screw (all right, torque). As this is when the screw is virtually home the amount of head left for the shroud to grip onto would be at its least - especially with a countersunk screw, even a round head screw would present a low profile by then. I think it would still slip. The other point about damaging the head of the screw - this isn't due to slipping per se but normally by using the incorrect screwdriver or too much force.

However, all that said, it sounds like a novel idea and is worth going on with as a project. I look forward to seeing it in my local "shed" this Christmas. :D

I was under the impression that these devices were used to make sure a screw didn't slip on first starting a drill driver. They are also used when putting in multiple screws (such as decking) to ensure they go in straight. Screws which are on an angle can stand out and look bad on decking and such jobs.

I have never used one but I think they are more common on the cartridge type screwdriver(?) which have the screws on a length of tape.

I've not seen it used on a drill either but I have used hand held ones that use a clip to hold the screw. I find it very useful. I think there is another type that uses a collar and tightens the fit of the screwdriver in the screw.
they can be a little fiddly to use initially but then are a godsend for those awkward bits that need your free hand to be holding something out of the way.
Although to go with what D&J was saying, you only use it to start off and once the screw 'bites' it needs to be retracted.
Good Luck

PS it might be worth posting a picture to illustrate what you are planning

Sponsored Links
RockChick said:
rather than damaging the screwhead (making it bl**dy impossible to get out again!!)
This only happens when using wrong size screwdriver (slot, philips etc), if you are using the right size screwdriver and still damaging the head then the hole should be pre-drill to take the pressure off.

I have had something similar for over 10 years.
It has sprung loaded ball bearings to hold the screw and allows the bit to stay tight to the screw.
It also has a dial clutch to govern the depth the screw goes in.
It came in a set.
The driver attachment for a drill, a push hammer and a multi-purpose tool with knife blade, blade and scissor sharpener, glass/tile scorer, wire stripper etc etc.
£10 the lot.

Next time you are at a garden show/ flower show you will see the guy selling these things. Great demo.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back