Never ending renovation, any recourse?

Yeah, it's ok. It proves it's not new but it's how copper pipes go after a while. The oxide forms a protective coating.

You do seem to have a lot of pipe work that isn't covered by insulation. If it's carrying hot water it's just leaking away money you've paid to heat the water inside it

Sponsored Links
Few observations on your pics re pipework
Copper always goes discoloured (verdigris) and can happen quite quickly in certain conditions.
The grey fittings are polypipe polyplumb the white ones speedfit both very much still available.
To be blunt the workmanship installing the pipework is terrible mixture of materials and fitting type no visible means of support plus all pipework should be insulated (see building regulations part L)

Sponsored Links
Few observations on your pics re pipework
Copper always goes discoloured (verdigris) and can happen quite quickly in certain conditions.
The grey fittings are polypipe polyplumb the white ones speedfit both very much still available.
To be blunt the workmanship installing the pipework is terrible mixture of materials and fitting type no visible means of support plus all pipework should be insulated (see building regulations part L)
That's quite scary.. Why is it a terrible mixture? I will definitely be bringing up the insulation..

Why is it a terrible mixture?
You were defeated by a lack of punctuation there

"installing the pipework is terrible: mixture of materials and fitting type,
no visible means of support, all pipework should be insulated"

Pipe work was probably mixed materials either to save on buying new or because routing new was hard work. I don't personally have an issue with mixing copper and plastic, or different fitting makes but I'm sure there are those who will

There's nothing like scaring yourself with everyone on an Internet forum chipping in their two penn'orth and you coming away thinking your house is going to explode tomorrow, but focus on the major tasks right now; big holes bashed in yoir house, rather than a bit of oxidised copper or light switch screw covers

I agree with robinbanks, you should concentrate on most serious faults.
I think I said it before, but you should get a proper plumber in and get those pipes sorted.
Your finished product should be leak free, supported and insulated where needed.
Using existing pipes it's ok to a certain extent.
As it is at best it will waste heat by not being insulated.
Unsupported pipes will stress the joint and maybe, just maybe, one day they'll leak.
Although I have seen ancient unsupported copper pipes stressing compression joints and no leak; it's all a matter of belt and brace.
Don't let them cover up everything just because there's no more leak.
When I refurbished my house I found a very similar situation with pipework.
I stripped everything and repiped the lot.
At least I know that if there was a leak now it would just be due to bad luck rather than a bodged job.

So after stopping the leak, he filled the radiators with water to a pressure of 2.7,bled to 1.9 then left. I further bled them to 1.5 later and this is the colour of the water in the radiators.. Should it be this colour?? Bear in mind all the radiators are brand new

Attachments

• ReduceImageSize.net_200kb_9555.jpg
    ReduceImageSize.net_200kb_9555.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Your heating setup is a mix of old and new, pipes with accumulated deposits from the old etc have been drained and then refilled with a mains pressure whoosh. I wouldn't expect the water to be clear, but so long as it contains a suitable mix of inhibitor it'll be ok. There are millions of central heating systems in this country filled with dirtier water than that..

Hi all
Just wanted to update you all and also had a question. The saga continues.
Building control came around and failed the inspection, not only was the kitchen vent not connected, but also the new shower and bathroom vents. They're literally venting into my new insulation and loft boarding.

Since the building plugged the leak with leak sealant, the hot water pressure in my bathroom has reduced significantly. The shower seems unaffected, as does the cold water. Not sure if the two are connected.
Any ideas what has happened or what to do to look into this? No idea where to even start..

I'd take the hot tap apart and check it over internally, especially if other taps are ok. Maybe it's dropped to bits or has become blocked with crud from all that reused pipe work - open pipe ends being dragged on the floor, picking up debris that will get jammed in a tap valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back