Workshop Renovation Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930's extension on our house which was originally built as a small scale dairy, and more recently used as a workshop. I want to make it a bit more of a useable room as currently there are a number of problems with it - it is solid wall of only 6 inch, no heating, damp, condensation/mould over the walls, leaking roof, the concrete floor is knackered and big old wooden doors falling to pieces letting a draft in.

I am planning on renovating it and using it as a gym. The changes I plan to make include: blocking up the external doors, laying a new insulated concrete floor, batten, insulate and board walls and ceiling, new roof, extend central heating into the room and decorate.

Some pics below of progress to date:

1930's plan of the extension

Workshop as it was when we moved in

The old doors

Workshop cleared out

Workshop from the outside

Old doors blocked up in Bathstone - I might try and age these artificially or try and jet wash the old stone to make the colours a bit more similar

Concrete floor taken up ready for a new floor

Will post updates when I've made more progress - next job is to lay the new concrete floor

Sponsored Links
Started laying the hardcore (got 2 jumbo bags from MOT Type 1) and hired a compactor for the weekend. Planning to take the hardcore to the first stepped section, then a layer of sand blinding which will help level out the uneven stepped section ready for the DPM (1200 gauge) and then celotex insulation.

Finished laying and compacting 100mm of hardcore. Put down the sand blinding, no idea how people can get it flat and flush - spent about 4 hours getting it flat and level with a piece of timber and spirit level but the moment I got the compactor on it made a mess of things.

Wouldn't have worred if it was just concrete going on top but the insulation boards need a good level surface to support them. There were still bumps and dips everywhere but hopefully it is level enough to not cause any problems. Put down a 1200 gauge DPM and some Celotex insulation boards.

Next job is to take the plaster off the walls so that I can get to the DPC in the walls and join it with the DPM. Concrete probably won't be done for a couple of weeks yet.

Sand Blinding complete

DPM down

Insulation being put down

Sponsored Links
Slowly making progress...

All insulation down plus upstands around the perimeter

Another layer of DPM down as a VPL

Planks down ready for pouring concrete

Should have already laid the floor but had some problems with the gravel supplied for the concrete which appeared to be ungraded. Plan on mixing a 1:2:4 mix using cement, sharp sand and 20mm gravel.

As I don't think I will get a perfectly level finish on the slab. I intend to use some self-levelling compound afterwards to get it all level before putting down flooring.

Looks great. I did the same thing, apart from the insulation , for my shed.

How thick are you going? I did 100mm and used rebar mesh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back