Screwfix box spanners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to tighten the nut (on a threaded rod) on a basin tap. None of my box spanners were small enough, so I pooped off to Screwfix to pick THESE up.

Well, that was a wasted journey/purchase. Where the "tommy" bar enters the holes are bowed inwards. The upshot is that you cannot push the box spanner far enough up the thread rod to reach the nut.

I took them back to Screwfix and was given a refund but I am kicking myself for not having got these from Toolstation instead.

Why would anyone sell box spanners that cannot deal with more than 3 or 4(?)cm of threaded rod before you get to the nut?

Sponsored Links
Couldn’t you have put an ordinary socket on the other end of the box spanner?

You should have got the ones underneath in your Screwfix link, the monobloc box spanner - designed for exactly what you wanted it for. The ones you returned might be for mechanics, which may suit them.

Sponsored Links
Couldn’t you have put an ordinary socket on the other end of the box spanner?

Sorry, I don't understand. I wanted a box spanner that would accommodate (read: be wide enough to slide over) the threaded bolt and then reach the nut. IMO, any box spanner that can't do that isn't worth owning. The Toolstation ones can do that, the Rothenbergers can. Most can, but not the Kingfisher/Screwfix ones.

You should have got the ones underneath in your Screwfix link, the monobloc box spanner - designed for exactly what you wanted it for. The ones you returned might be for mechanics, which may suit them.

Something odd is happening here. I am 99% certain that I linked to product number 8319V. My link has since become a generic link to their site. I suspect that you too provided a specific link.

Are we not allowed to complain about products on the sc.re-wfix site?

Any who, I was not looking for a "monobloc" spanner. I wanted to tighten a tap that has the crescent type plate on the underside that uses a threaded rod and nut

Something odd is happening here. I am 99% certain that I linked to product number 8319V. My link has since become a generic link to their site. I suspect that you too provided a specific link.
I think the new diynot site links to S crewfix if you mention the name. Your other link links to your product. Yep, crescent washer and threaded bolt and nut are usually monobloc, yours must be different, must be the larger type.

I think the new diynot site links to S crewfix if you mention the name. Your other link links to your product. Yep, crescent washer and threaded bolt and nut are usually monobloc, yours must be different, must be the larger type.

I am pretty sure that I hyperlinked to the product. I might be wrong though. I believe that I did, and if I didn't, how on earth could you tell me that I should have purchased the one lower down in my link? That would suggest that when you saw my link, it was the link that I left, and not the sanitised, generic version that is now visible.

Serious question, but other than things like spark plugs, how often do mechanics need a box socket rather than a socket set with extension bars. BTW I don't drive. I did once own a Mk1 Carpri, and whilst tinkering with it, I never needed a box spanner set.

They’re called deep reach sockets. That’s all I’ve ever used when fitting taps with the crescent washer.

Sorry, I was having a senior moment, yes the tap is a monoblock.

I already had two sets of box spanners but the nut was smaller than any that I have come across before. I wasn't sure that either the Rothenberger or Monument sets sold at Screwfix would have been small enough. As I said, I should have got the Toolstation ones.

On reflection, I should have read the most recent reviews. I hadn't realised that Screwfix defaults to showing the highest star reviews first. Many of the most recent reviews complain about the fact that the tommy bar holes are pressed inwards (preventing the box spanner from reaching the nut).

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Rothenberger sell 2 different ones (confusing), and it’ll probably be the one with 3 box spanners in it. As long as you now have the correct one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back