Tightening kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. A while ago I got a replacement kitchen tap. The previous was a fairly standard monoblock with a metric threadded rod (maybe M10 or something) and a brass nut holding it into place. The replacement appears to do away with that and comes with a threaded tube, maybe 45mm in diameter and a plastic nut with a hint of some kind of grip to assist thumb tightning. Only trouble is, the thing is damn hard to tighten. Can't seem to get it tight enough and don't have a 45mm box spanner in my set.

Is there a special knack/secret/tool for tightening these?

Sponsored Links
This sort of thing you asking?
46mm

It needs to be tightened properly but there is little or no room to get some grips on to it. Just buy the long box spanner and make it easy for yourself

Blup

Just to add.
I be taken the last two sinks out. Fitted new taps and pipe tails and dropped back in. Used clear polymer mastic to reseat sinks.
Just to difficult to get under imo. Takes 5 mins to unscrew sink clips and lift sink out.

Sponsored Links
Plastic nuts are rubbish. Even if you can get it tight enough to prevent the tap from moving the chances are you will strip the thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back