HOW TO TIGHTEN NUT UNDER SINK TAP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE HELP,fitted tap ok but i cannot tighten the nut underneath,i bought a monoblock spanner set from screwfix but don't fit :cry:

Sponsored Links
Get a decent set of box spanners, not just a couple; full set, many different sizes of nut used.

the set had 9mm 11mm 13mm 15mm i think i need a 10mm,but i need a spanner that will fit under the nut and through the screw,similar to a spark plug remover

Sponsored Links
the set had 9mm 11mm 13mm 15mm i think i need a 10mm,but i need a spanner that will fit under the nut and through the screw,similar to a spark plug remover

Huh?
i think the OP means a socket wont fit cause the threaded screw passes through the bolt stopping the socket reaching the nut, i use a spanner fitted onto the nut at an angle, it is a bit fiddly as you cant turn the spanner much but a little patience gets you there

Huh?
i think the OP means a socket wont fit cause the threaded screw passes through the bolt stopping the socket reaching the nut,

Bit odd if that's the case since the shaft of the box spanner will be nearly as wide or wider than the hexagonal head of the nut that goes over the threaded rod. But if it is true, then shorten the threaded screw with a hacksaw.

Huh?
i think the OP means a socket wont fit cause the threaded screw passes through the bolt stopping the socket reaching the nut,

Bit odd if that's the case since the shaft of the box spanner will be nearly as wide or wider than the hexagonal head of the nut that goes over the threaded rod. But if it is true, then shorten the threaded screw with a hacksaw.
you will never get in with a hacksaw once the threaded bar is fitted into the tap, it would need to be done before the tap was fitted, suppose i am thinking of socket rather than box key, as long as box key is longer than threaded rod it should be easy peasy so i dont know why the OP cant tighten it :oops:

you will never get in with a hacksaw once the threaded bar is fitted into the tap, it would need to be done before the tap was fitted, suppose i am thinking of socket rather than box key, as long as box key is longer than threaded rod it should be easy peasy so i dont know why the OP cant tighten it :oops:

As you know, a lot of these threaded rods have a flat screwdriver socket at one end, which means that it may still possible to extract and replace it. In any case the tap isn't fitted so there should be room to withdraw it (especially if flexis have been used). Finally, the threaded rod doesn't have to be done up tight, the tension of the nut will hold it well and truly firm.

But, having said that, I, like you, am confused why the box spanner won't work, since I have a set of the ones the op has bought and have yet to come a cropper with them.

Agreed with Dextrous, and in any case if you can't tighten the nut there's no point in connecting the flexi's or otherwise. It seems it is a case of 'it's too hard mommy'. If you can't do it with an adjustable spanner then you don't deserve to use the correct box spanner.

get a plumber, as long as you tell him "it's only a little job" he will be delighted to do it for you for very little pay as it's so easy for him to do. Heck he might even pay you it's such fun.

Send me a private message with your address in and I'll post you a 10mm box spanner on loan.

drill.jpg

got anything like this??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back