Screwfix "unavailable to take any orders"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"We are temporarily unavailable to take any orders.

Due to continued high demand from our latest catalogue we have reached our capacity for delivery on Monday. As soon as capacity becomes available, screwfix.com will resume order taking. This is likely to be within the next few hours."

Wow, must be busy then!
:eek:

Sponsored Links
Now it reads:

"Screwfix.com is temporarily unavailable.

Due to our website unavailability over the last few days, we are experiencing very high traffic levels at Screwfix.com. In order to maintain a high level of service we are managing the number of users able to access the website at any one time. Please try again later. "

I remember a few years ago one of the more popular internet computer component retailers had these problems. You know what they did? I really don't know how they came up with this one, but: THEY BOUGHT A FATTER INTERNET PIPE AND REAPED THE EXTRA BUSINESS!!! :rolleyes:

I swear, Screwfix should start paying their marketing monkeys with a higher grade of peanut.

It is almost as if they don't want our business... Is Screwfix becoming some kind of elite tools and DIY boutique? By invitation only? :LOL: "Oh no love, you're not coming in here wearing last season's riggers' gloves!"

Yes, bit annoying. Happens quite frequently at the mo. I wanted to check out an item that was rejected from my order (only listed part no) but couldn't because they closed the whole site. :evil:

I think it might have something to do with the forum on there (lots of unhappy bunnies)

All of the recent problems with the relocation - I reckon it might have something to do with disgruntled employees?

Are people purporting to be Screwfix employees writing rude things on the forum? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yeah, Studders, agreed.

Twice now I have tried to order next day to be told "Oh, the lorry's full" and "Our PC is down" in the same conversation.

So that is why they have problems. They only have one lorry and one PC.

Best bit was I wrote a snotty letter and they never bothered replying.

Ha, ha.

The problem, they tell me is that "if the next day delivery capability is reached, the computer locks us out".
Well can I order for delivery in 2 or 3 days.
"No i'm locked out".
When will you be allowed back in to the system.
"It comes back on line at 6pm"
Tomorrow then?
"Not sure! If people order on line tonight and it reaches it's limit, it will close down again"

ScrewFix - Anything to save a few quid!

They seem to be back and running. OK they're not perfect, but don't knock 'em, It's a far better thing than say even 5 years ago, when DIY'ers were fleeced by the sheds.

I am wondering what is causing these problems? I know they have staff shortages, but I would bet that the vast majority of their staff are pickers and packers, after all they are pretty much just a big warehouse. Now, I have worked as a picker and packer, and it isn't the most taxing job in the world. I doubt very hard they should have any problems finding staff unless a) they have moved to an area which already had full employment, or b) they are offering rubbish wages.

I mean, I never had this problem with them before. And I doubt their customer base has increased THAT significantly in a matter of weeks. So in an attempt to increase their operation, they have effectively downsized it. They are losing literally millions of pounds in revenue. Even if they solved all their problems by 8am tomorrow morning, they have lost a lot of their regular customers. If not forever, certainly for a few months. And I would bet that some of the tradesmen here were ordering a few hundred pounds worth a week from them, if not more. :eek:

I will continue to buy from them, as long as their prices stay good (at least compared to the sheds and trade suppliers round here). But I would be glad if you could all name a couple of your alternative internet suppliers! The only other one I use is TLC-direct for electrics. I should think such information is acceptable on the forum, just so long as we have no blatant advertising! :LOL:

If I was a Screwfix/Kingfisher Group shareholder, I would be pretty miffed right now.

Sponsored Links
Back