Price increases on conduit etc imported from China?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody heard anything about this? It was received as an email from our local Electric Center branch:

"Within the last 24 hours we have been made aware that on the 14th November the European Commission imposed an anti-dumping surcharge on imports of all threaded tube and malleable iron fittings originating from China. The end result is that any supplier/manufacturer sourcing this type of product for the UK market will now have their imports subjected to an immediate surcharge of 67.8%.
I have already spoken to Niglon (our Acel range is also affected), DETA and Greenbrook – all of whom have advised that they have no choice but to accept this levy and pass it into the market.
Greenbrook has increased its prices with immediate effect and both Niglon/Acel and DETA intend to increase prices from December 1st
The affected Acel products will increase in price on 01/12/12 and the corresponding net trades will also increase to allow us to pass this increase through into the market. As soon as we have the information from Niglon we will circulate the revised Acel cost and net trades to you.
Those profit centres who may try and capitalise on this price increase and place large orders on our principal suppliers ahead of the proposed increase may find themselves disappointed. From the conversations I have had with the likes of Niglon and DETA it would appear that the market has been caught unawares and there is insufficient capacity on hand in the UK right now to meet the spike in demand resulting from this announcement. DETA and Niglon have advised that they are refusing excessively large orders to try and maintain a continuity of supply on day to day trade.
Apologies for this sudden announcement, but as I've already said we were only made aware yesterday and it would appear that the market hadn't anticipated it either."

Sponsored Links
I saw something similar when I was online shopping the other day at Discount Electrical.

Anyone know what "anti-dumping" means?

Anti-Dumping Duty (ADD) is an import duty charged in addition to normal customs duty and is applied across the whole European Community. It is designed to allow the EC to take action against goods that are sold at less than their normal value - that being defined as the price for 'like goods' sold in the exporter’s home market.

Anti-Dumping Duty (ADD) measures

AD 1874

Sponsored Links
Some countries subsidise their exporters so they can export items at prices lower than they cost to manufacturer. This is "dumping" and enourages trade with the country. Often "dumped" items are sold to bring in foriegn currency to the country to pay for imports the country needs.

Anti dumping is intended to make these subsidiised (dumped) items less profitable to reduce trade in them to balance out trade between countries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back