Screwing into a no-fines concrete wall: What screws to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Perhaps a bit obscure: I did not think it possible, but workmen were able to attach wood to the no-fines concrete wall in my home. I may need to do the same. Does anyone know what screws I can use? Possibly a flexible type I think. Thanks. Rich

Sponsored Links

The thing is, I have used a 16mm diamond tile drill with 16mm oak dowel. It's OK, but when I saw the worker simply screw through the wood (acting as a template) into the no-fines wall, I was gobsmacked and thought, Oh, it can be done, much more convenient than boring out holes. Whether it's good practice to screw directly into a no-fines wall, I don't know. The guy was fitting a false wall in front of the no-fines wall, so not much weight.

No fines concrete uses flint as the aggregate with a small amount of sand and cement as a binder. The binder us relatively soft, but flint is very hard (Mohs 7 - diamond is Mohs 10, whilst tungsten carbide used in TCT drills is Mohs 9). So you can drill flint with a TCT masonry bit. The problem is that standard 2-flute masonry drill bits tend to skid off the flint, so you ideallt need a 3- or 4-flute masonry bit, some sort of guide to keep them on line, and a stronger hammer action than combi drills offer. So your man may have been using an SDS drill with a 3- or 4- flute drill bit (Heller, deEalt, Hilti, etc) and the lump of wood was acting as a guide. On the rare occasions I drill the stuff U use my corded SDS (3kg, 4.2J) as opposed to my cordless (2J) which makes the job a lot easier

Sponsored Links
No fines concrete uses flint as the aggregate with a small amount of sand and cement as a binder. The binder us relatively soft, but flint is very hard (Mohs 7 - diamond is Mohs 10, whilst tungsten carbide used in TCT drills is Mohs 9). So you can drill flint with a TCT masonry bit. The problem is that standard 2-flute masonry drill bits tend to skid off the flint, so you ideallt need a 3- or 4-flute masonry bit, some sort of guide to keep them on line, and a stronger hammer action than combi drills offer. So your man may have been using an SDS drill with a 3- or 4- flute drill bit (Heller, deEalt, Hilti, etc) and the lump of wood was acting as a guide. On the rare occasions I drill the stuff U use my corded SDS (3kg, 4.2J) as opposed to my cordless (2J) which makes the job a lot easier

I find the dewalt extreme bits very good for drilling, they work well with a small mains SDS in hard walls and in cordless drills.

Just to be clear, the worker did not use a drill to make a hole in the no-fines wall, he simply used his portable screwdriver to drive screws into the no-fines wall, using the wood he was attaching as a sort of template. I'm thinking of doing the same.

Question: There is a kind of punch that has flutes that I have used to punch a hole in a no-fines wall. What is the name of such a punch? I've forgotten. Ta.

Well, never heard of any flexible screws (screws are steel in the main, anyvsteel doesn't bend a that well), and the method I quoted is the one you need to follow if you intend to put any sort of loading onto the fixing. But as Robin says a photo would help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back