what screws to use to hold bathroom wall panels in place on tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, i'm installing some bathroom wall panels and the recommendation is to screw them to the walls as well as using adhesive.
my wall in this case is tiled, behind which is plaster and then brick.
would i be correct in thinking i need to use some countersunk masonry screws? i'm relatively inexperienced in diy so just want to double check beforehand, my thinking being masonry as that will be hardest material i will encounter, and countersunk as they will go in the tongue/groove bit and it needs to be flat as possible.

thank you

Sponsored Links
Best give us a picture of the T&G if you can.....it's presumably going to be a pretty small screw? With mine, I braced the panels with timber propped from the opposite wall.
Either way it would be plastic wall plugs for me - maybe we can advise on the size.
John :)

the panels are 8mm pvc, the tongue is just a thin piece of plastic, and the groove needs to fit into that, and yes the screws would have to be small and completely level against the surface of the tongue for the groove to fit

I'd have to advise using the correct adhesive and bracing the sheets against the opposite wall.....would that be possible?

Sponsored Links
why not screws? bracing against opposite walls would prob mean installing new cladding on ceiling to cover the wood going across

Secret nailing through timber tongues is one thing but putting screws through a tongue of plastic cladding is indeed another.....the screw would have to be completely sunk for the next groove to join.
I meant temporary bracing from the opposite wall, just long enough for the grab adhesive to set, and then its removed, not interfering with anything else.

yeah well it turns out the screw method isn't much use, getting it slightly above level is fine, but to get it level just ended up destroying the plastic!
i only asked because a lot of the youtube videos recommend screwing the wall panels but i guess the issue is the tiles in my case.
thanks anyway about the advice about the temp bracing, i did without pressing on the sheets and left it for a day, seems to have stuck pretty well to be honest. i i think i might try to screw in the trims but likely to face issue...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back