Screwing into a patio door what type of screw needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to install a patio door push lock into my double glazing door frame, i have drilled 2mm holes into the frame, but im finding the screws that came with the push lock wont screw into the frame, tried several different phillips screw drivers so its not that.

I dont know what material the frame is made out of aluminium or steel, is there some sort of special screw that will easily go into this?

Sponsored Links
picture (so we can maybe see what its made of?)

how to post a picture is in forum information

Sponsored Links
Often the screws that are supplied with locks etc are really pants. Go buy some decent screws from your local hardware store.

You think the head of the supplied screws are just not upto standard and thats why it wont grip the screw driver?

Quite possible.

I am going to ask a question here and if it appears very basic I apologise.

Are you using the correct screwdriver bit, by that I mean have you perhaps got a phillips screw and are using a pozi bit. This would cause the head of the driver to fall out of the screw.

I was replacing some under pelmet lights the other day and tried to use the screws provided and even going into wood with a pilot hole I couldn't get them started so I chucked them and used some decent Spax screws the same size, straight in, no probs.

Retested with another screwdriver which is gripped the head of the screw pretty hard, but still not going into the pilot hole.

Is there specific scews available that will go into the material of my patio door frame?

Self tapping screws are what you need, preferably from a good manufacturer such as Spax.

You have drilled a 2.0 mm hole, is this the size specified in the fitting instructions ?

Make the pilot hole a tad bigger by running the drill through it a couple of times.

Go to your local hardware store where you will be able to buy screws singly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back