Moving a screw fixing a fraction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The latches on several of our doors do not click in when the door closes, and some others require a bit of force to latch shut properly. So my thinking is that I must move the receiving part of the latches (on the door frame) a small distance so that the door part of the latch will click in without too much effort / travel.

Problem is that the distance to be moved will be quite small, so that the new screw hole will overlap with the old screw hole.

What is the best way to deal with this? Are there wood fillers out there that are strong enough to hold a screw tight? In the past when a screw hole has ended up being too big for the screw, I've just filled the hole a little with some bit of wood splinter (or a wooden match), but this seems to be quite heath robinson.

Cheers,

Mike

Sponsored Links
Now why didn't I think of that?

Now all I need is a file...

Thanks,

Mike

i usually hammer in a shaped wooden dowel. all you need is a big splinter of dry timber and a sharp knife. shape splinter, hammer in and chisel off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, noseall. Sounds like what I've done in the past. So, is it (1) fill screw holes with splinters + re-fix in new place; or (b) file the slot to move the opening that way... what do you reckon?

Mike

noseall: re the file... that relates to leaving the metal "staple" (that seems to be the technical term for the part of a door latch that is fixed to the door frame, with a slot for receiving the catch on the door when it closes) where it is, and instead filing the slot so that it is wider (see my specific problem in the OP).

Looks like it's gonna be a split decision anyway :)

Thanks,

Mike

I would check that the lock has not come loose on the door as the first step and then try a little lube on the tongue of the lock if the difference is only slight. Check around the frame also to make sure there is no debris preventing the doorclosing that last few mm.

If the amount of adjustment is small I would file,(with a Dremel) if there is a reasonable amount to adjust I would plug the holes with dowel and redrill.

The hinges may be loose or worn requiring tightening or replacement, allowing the door to sag[fix the problem not the syptoms].

Our back door, same prob, done it with a dremel, whole job took about 20 mins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back