Problem screwing on doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've put 2 sets of doors back on after filling in the screw holes & there's another 2 to go.

Problem is i can't find the remaining screws. We have a box of screws, same thickness & length as the others i've used but with different heads (pozi instead of flat that i'd been using).

Problem is i tried drilling these home & the bit just keeps spinning. I tried by hand & it's a no-go. The bit is as big as the head will allow so i assume the right one & it's a pozi bit.

Why would this be? Could it be down to the pilot holes being quite small? I didn't want to drill in the holes too big so i kept it to a thin hole.

Also when screwing on interior doors, should you get the beefiest screw the hinge & frame will allow or would thinner screws be fine?

Sponsored Links
If you have packed the old holes and are starting again then I would say you are over-torqueing the new screws.

Most cordless have a torque setting. Try at the lowest and work up until you can just tighten the screw in the hole. The clutch mechanism should then prevent over-tightening.

Use a traditional hand screwdriver, and you'll be able to feel when the screw is fully tight.
Personally I wouldn't use a power driver in this application.
John :)

Oh dear some of that post & the thread title will teach me not to post while falling asleep at the desk again!!

I tried by hand & cordless. The screw only went in a couple mm before becoming a problem. The drill has torque settings up to 16 if I remember right.

The pilot hole I drilled is quite small/thin. I did this on the basis of you can always go bigger but you can't go backwards. It's just enough for the tip of the screw to bed in. Perhaps I should drill the pilot hole a little larger?

Sponsored Links
Ok confused now. First you say the screw keeps turning, so the assumption is you've overdriven it, but now you say it doesn't go in at all.

So which is it?

Think he means the bit keeps spinning but the screw doesn't.

Yes I think you could be right. So either:
a) crap bit or
b) crap screws

There is a 3rd option and the clue is in the OP's handle :LOL:

Or a combination of 2 of them with the 3rd option being default :D

Anyway like I say, don't be posting when you're dropping asleep in the process. I just wanted to get the thread up, hit the sack & then get he response in the morning. Oops.

Anyway yeah the screw goes home a few mm & then no longer turns. The bit starts spinning out at this point.

The bit for the drill is old but the bit for the manual screwdriver is brand new, literally.

So you're saying there's zero chance it's down to a small pilot hole?

Also I wondered how thin a screw you could use. I have thinner ones but it's whether they're any good. I was asking about the ones I'm using at work & was asked if they're "an 8" when I showed them them. I've no idea. Hey re just screws in an unmarked Screwfix box I found in the shed at home.

You may be using a Phillips screwdriver in a Pozidriv screw, of course, or your screwdriver may be worn or perhaps too small.
If the screw really won't go in, then drill a slightly bigger pilot hole and try again.....a bit of lube does no harm, especially if it's into a hardwood.
John :)

Still not sure what the problem is you simply repeated you first post.
Are you saying it's too tough to screw home, in which case you probably hit a knot which is tough and need predrilling to the depth of the screw.
The bit spins? it is supposed too that's how it drives the screw in.
The hand screwdriver also spins? please explain.
Do you mean the screwdrivers jump out of the screw head?
As I said either hit a knot or you have weak wrists.

is the bit a pz2?
can you hold the screw horizontally on the bit ??
the correct bit will not have any rock in the screwhead and you should be able to carry or nearly carry the screw on the bit

you simply repeated you first post.
The bit spins? it is supposed too that's how it drives the screw in.
The hand screwdriver also spins? please explain.
Do you mean the screwdrivers jump out of the screw head?
Anyway yeah the screw goes home a few mm & then no longer turns. The bit starts spinning >>>out<<< at this point.

Anyway i have this fettled now.

Lesson learned here - don't swallow what people tell you. I was wrong when i said i was using the right bit. Turns out i wasn't. I was using PZ1 instead of PZ2 (although the brand new bit i referred to when using manual screwdriver WAS PZ2). Anyway, bit of a red face moment there :(

What i did was use a 3mm bit to drill a bigger pilot hole.
Then i used the appropriate bit but this time in the drill.
Dropped the torque setting down to 10 from 16

Then drilled home. All was well :) The battery was nearly on empty though so that needs charging.

Glad you got it sorted but have to say, if you were driving screws at max torque then I'm not surprised you were having problems. I only use max torque when using the cordless for drilling, but have never needed that amount of 'twist' to hang a door.

I just used what it was already set at to be honest. I understand the basics of the torque settings but not what setting should be for which job so (wrongly) figured top setting would do for everything :D you learn from your mistakes :)

Always worth testing tools before using them in anger. With torque settings from 1 - 16 I would be surprised if you even needed 10 on a softwood frame, especially as you had pilot holes as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back