Replacing fittings on old UPVC Double Glazing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have upvc windows that were fitted in the 1990s. I have been intending to replace parts such as the locking mechanisms, handles and the shoebolts? the latch thingys anyway..

Bought the componetns locally and had replaced the lach on one window opening great..

moved to the next window, and the screws were seized on with corrosion i reackon.. so took the opening frame off the hinges, and tried to bash it a bit to loosen the handle from the frame. no luck at all.

Third window was ok..ish but noticed a lot of corrosion on the screws holding the handle onto the frames.

I had noticed that whoever fitted the windows used odd sizes of screws.. some pozi .. some flat various thickness and lengths so wasnt impressed with him keeping to a standard sized screw. Also some holes have stripped threads so some screws holding the hinges on just spin round

I am also a bit put off with the odds and sods screws.. is it possible to repair the thread stripped holes frames by gluing plastic type dowel into the holes and re-drilling pilot holes for replacement screws.

As I can't get the handles out the frame, would I be better off getting the whole frames for the openings re-made and fit them?

Would I be better off just replacing the whole window?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back