scuffed electrical cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was doing some drilling in a confined space. Whilst doing this I inadvertently scuffed an electrical cable with the chuck of the drill. Now part of the white insulation sheathing has gone and I can see the red insulation sheathing of the live cable, but not the live cable itself.

//www.diynot.com/network/diyman34834/albums/24347/91554

What are my options? Do I need to get the wire replaced? Or can I use some insulation tape or chocbox?

Thanks inadvance

Sponsored Links
the best option is to replace the entire length of cable.

if you cannot do this, you can cut and joint if there is enough slack in the cable.

If the area is not easily accessible (it doesn't look it) then you must use a maintenance free junction box, if it's easily accessible, you can use a standard choc box and connector blocks

If the area is not easily accessible (it doesn't look it) then you must use a maintenance free junction box, if it's easily accessible, you can use a standard choc box and connector blocks
I presume you intended the word I have added :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I've heard cables to be scuffed, or even 'polished', and they are always worse than they sound.

If you can't get any slack on the cable, I imagine it would be ok just to fit the so-called choc box enclosure over the cable, without needing the connector blocks.

However, one would need to be 100% certain the copper isn't damaged in any way.

That's not a scuff. It's a massive gash which has damaged the copper conductor and not only exposed live parts, but has also reduced it's current carrying capacity, which could cause a fire.

It needs to be properly repaired without delay.

Thanks for the responses.

Going to get an electrician in asap to sort it out.

I think replacing the whole cable could be a massive pain. Hopefully the junction box solution is possible if replacing the cable is too difficult. Anyway, will see what the electrician says.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back