SD CARDS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick tech question for all you computer folk.

lets say i have an average length DVD (approx 2 hours) and i want to put the DVD onto an SD Card....what i want to know is, what size of SD Card should i use....1gb 2gb 4gb etc etc

answers please!?!?!!

thanks

Sponsored Links
erms, lets say non compressed,

i'll elaborate....

lets says i have a DVD in the PC disk drive and i want to drag and drop the movie onto an SD Card...what size would i need then?

if i was to compress the DVD, what would be the best method? winzip? or similar? and if i compressed the DVD what size of SD card would i then need?

many thanks

ets says i have a DVD in the PC disk drive and i want to drag and drop the movie onto an SD Card
That probably wont work, thats why I asked the first question, what is it you want to do? grab a dvd from your collection (or video shop...) and have it portable on your card? It wont work just like that.

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
ets says i have a DVD in the PC disk drive and i want to drag and drop the movie onto an SD Card
That probably wont work, thats why I asked the first question, what is it you want to do? grab a dvd from your collection (or video shop...) and have it portable on your card? It wont work just like that.

in a nutshell yes! basically, i want the to be able to put the dvd in my pc disk drive and put it onto my SD card. i want it done one of two ways...either the easiest way with the size of the SD card needed or the best way (compression etc) with size of SD...hope i make sense!

Hi,

As I said earlier - not just a case of copying over I'm afraid - have a shifty here
or google "dvd rip"

A DVD uses compression anyway. A DVD disk can store about 4.5 GB of info.
One rule of compression, you cannot keep compressing without a) losing a large amount of quality (lossy compression) or b) actually increasing the size of the data

And don't forget about the now common dual layer DVD's (DVD-9)...these are just under 8GB in size (even though there claimed to be 8.5GB).

Also the bigger size SD cards (2GB & 4GB) are in excess of £50.

I have to ask, why an SD card ?

wanleg said:
And don't forget about the now common dual layer DVD's (DVD-9)...these are just under 8GB in size (even though there claimed to be 8.5GB).

Also the bigger size SD cards (2GB & 4GB) are in excess of £50.

I have to ask, why an SD card ?

not when bought from the far east at trade price ;)

why an SD Card...its for an MP4 multimedia player...does MP3 and 4, all the MPEG and JPEG files, WAV WMA, ASF etc and its memory is upgradable via SD cards!!!!

i have a small piece of software that converts the video format to ASF (which is what the player wil accept. if i convert the contents of a DVD to ASF format and then store it onto the SD card, will i be ready to go?

if so...what sized SD are we looking at ? 4GB? considering a DVD disk holds about 4 GB?!?!?!?

have a small piece of software that converts the video format to ASF (which is what the player wil accept. if i convert the contents of a DVD to ASF format and then store it onto the SD card, will i be ready to go
seems so, why not rip a dvd, try varying qualities of compression - remember you will be viewing it on a small screen so some loss of quality wont be noticable too much. Do a few at different settings and chose the one thats best for quality/size - then you can decide what size card you need.

eggplant said:
have a small piece of software that converts the video format to ASF (which is what the player wil accept. if i convert the contents of a DVD to ASF format and then store it onto the SD card, will i be ready to go
seems so, why not rip a dvd, try varying qualities of compression - remember you will be viewing it on a small screen so some loss of quality wont be noticable too much. Do a few at different settings and chose the one thats best for quality/size - then you can decide what size card you need.

good call. i'll have a go with that and see how i go.

thanks for all your help !

Also don't forget my earlier post....a lot of new DVD's are now dual layer and nearly 8GB....you could try stripping out all the extra features, languages, 5.1 sound etc...to make them smaller...then start looking at compression.

Good luck i'm sure you can get a result if you persevere.

Sponsored Links
Back