SDS grease/ loose chuck ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 SDS drills, ones a cheapie Powerbase, ones a Bosch. They both have a problem where the bit slides backwards and forwards once inserted, I take it the ball bearing inside the chuck has lost it's grip somehow, is this a problem or indicative of imminent failure?

The cheapie one also leaks from inside the chuck, every time I remove a bit after use, there is a coating of black oil/grease on the end of the bit. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that it's about to die.

Also what's this SDS hammer grease that screwfix sell, and should I have been using it :oops:

Sponsored Links
No, its just as it should be.

You should grease the shank of the bit to allow it to slide back and forth freely. Also helps stop the chuck from jamming.

Thermo said:
no its indicating that its working!

Obviously my brain isn't :confused: It's just that when new, the bits fitted snugly with no movement. I guess they've just 'loosened up'

Sponsored Links
Deluks said:
It's just that when new, the bits fitted snugly with no movement.
When chucks are new the rubber 'mouth' fits the bit snugly and you may have wrongly concluded that there was no movement.

Now that it's been used a bit the chuck might feel somewhat more 'consentual'. ;)

....cock.....flange....nipple.....haven't we been here before? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back