SDS wood chisels - why??

Sponsored Links
im sure ive seen some work thats been done with them,
well the locks looked like they had been put in with a kango.

wonder if i could do my mortice and tennons with those?

large timber baulks requiring pockets leveling within say 2mm
for example rails on a bridge where the the chairs need rebating on one side to give a cant

Sponsored Links
I've often looked at those. I can see them getting so wedged in you can't get them out. A gouge would be interesting though.

I have never used them but if I thought they would save time and effort on a job,such as chopping out sockets in a oak floorbeam etc... like you do all the time eh, I would give them a go. if it wasn't any good it would probably come into play somewhere along the way but like all these labour saving tools it means more time with the ear defenders on

I've never used one but know a friend who has. He brought a job lot of sds bits and two chisels came with the set. Although he didn't think they would be up to much he says he was surprised at how well they actually performed. They are no good at all for anything needing a bit of finesse but for rough chopping out they were ok although of course as has been mentioned care does need to be taken not to get ther thing stuck. His overall opinion of these chisels was that they can be useful but not enough to warrent purchasing them in their own right.

I've seen them used for the initial stages of wooden sculptures

Cheers guys.

Begs the question, why were you looking for them? :D :D

Because I was looking for a chisel set and they were listed with the others.

Might go for these, I dont use them a lot but mine are pretty old & battered.

I've seen them used for the initial stages of wooden sculptures
I got a set of them.
I don't really need wood chisels that often but at that price it was silly not to.
They do the job just fine - for what i need at least.

I have a set, save a lot of time when I do deep mortice when making funiture, cutting a deep mortice into 4inch legs takes ages by hand, few minutes with those.

what sort of chisel is good for a square-edged mortice?

I suppose you still have to finish off by hand?

Any chisel will make a square edged mortise. Needs to sharp though.

Dedicated mortise chisels have a very heavy shank that is straight on it's side (to maintain directional stability) but tapers along it's length. These chisels are intended to stand up to being rapped deeply into the stock, and then being used to lever out the waste.

I drill the mortise out using spades either in the bench drill or using a wolf alingment guide on a drill. Then finish with ordinary chisels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back