SDS

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Special Direct System.
That what I thought, also known as Slotted Drive System but looking into it further I've found this,

Schnell Drilling System.

The most significant recent development was the invention of the Schnell Drilling System (SDS). SDS drills use special bits with slots cut into their shanks, which click into place in the body of the drill.

I'm still learning :LOL:

Sponsored Links
masona said:
...looking into it further I've found this
SDS drills use special bits with slots cut into their shanks, which click into place in the body of the drill.
No offence meant masona, but this description is in such a playschool vernacular that it holds no credence.

I believe that Bosch developed the SDS system.

I always thought it stood for Slotted Drive System, but a quick Google came up with this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/drill-bit-shank
Quote:
"There is some confusion over the derivation of the term SDS. Some authorities claim that the shank style was invented in Germany and SDS is marketing jargon for "simplified drilling system". Other authorities claim that the shank style was invented in the US and SDS stands for "Silver-Deeming Shank". Silver & Deeming was a US manufacturer of machine tools from the 1850s to 1950s."

http://www.contractortoolsandsupplies.com/past/power_tools/PoundForPound.htm
"The most popular bit styles used in rotary hammers are SDS-Plus and SDS-Max style bits, says Vasis. “This bit style was invented by Bosch which licenses it to other manufacturers. SDS is a German term that roughly translates to mean ‘stick-rotate-seat.’ It’s also known in the United States as ‘Special Direct System’,” he says. Other sources peg the acronym to mean ‘slotted detent shank.’ "

gcol said:
Quote:
"There is some confusion over the derivation of the term SDS. Some authorities claim that the shank style was invented in Germany and SDS is marketing jargon for "simplified drilling system". Other authorities claim that the shank style was invented in the US and SDS stands for "Silver-Deeming Shank". Silver & Deeming was a US manufacturer of machine tools from the 1850s to 1950s."
Trust our Transatlantic cousins to try to take the credit, again! I frst came across SDS drills in Germany in the late 1970s/early 1980s and brought an SDS drill back to the UK. I do recall it being a real hunt to find the drill bits, and were they ever expensive then!

Scrit

Still don't know for certain what it stands for so I'll call it a "Simple Drill Slot"!! :confused:

from the horses mouth:

SDS-Plus ist ein von der Robert Bosch GmbH im Jahre 1975 eingeführtes Einstecksystem mit einem Schaftdurchmesser von 10 mm für schlagende und drehende Werkzeuge. Es ermöglicht – im Gegensatz zu vielen Spannfuttersystemen – einen werkzeuglosen und schnellen Bohrer- und Meißelwechsel.
Die Bohrerverriegelung und die Drehmomentübertragung (mit 60 mm² Auflagefläche) erfolgt getrennt und ist nahezu verschleißfrei. Die Bohrerverriegelung besteht aus zwei gegenüberliegenden länglichen Vertiefungen, in jeweils ein im Futter integrierte Kugel einrastet. Das Drehmoment wird dagegen über zwei Nuten übertragen, in die balkenförmige Erhebungen im Futter greifen. Bei axialer Bewegung des Bohrers rollen die Kugeln ab und die Ergebungen gleiten in den Nuten. Während dem Hammerbohren wird nur ein kleiner Teil des insgesamt 13 mm betragenden Spiels genutzt.
Die Abkürzung SDS stand ursprünglich für Steck, Dreh, Sitzt, wird aber heute international als Special Direct System bezeichnet.

In other words it was invented by Bosch in 1975 and originaly stood for "Steck, Dreh, Sitzt" roughly translates to "stick, turn, seated" but is now internationaly known as "special direct system"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back