Seal around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could you suggest for me a product from toolstation that would be good to seal round the outside of my PVC windows where the exterior render meets the frame? I'm getting damp creeping in between the frame and render and have a local toolstation I'd like to buy some sealant from.

Is it a caulk or silicone and what sort of grade/price would you go for?

Windows and render are white by the way.

Sponsored Links
You need silicone, there are various types but for frames to masonary you need 'low modulas neutral cure' abbreviated as 'LMN', in white obviously

Caulk is for internal sealing, as it is water based it can be painted on where silicone can't, this is often referred to as 'decorators caulk' or 'acrylic sealant'

Don't get confused with the american term 'caulking', they actually mean 'sealing' and will use silicone not caulk.

The only time where silicone is used indoors is in high moisture areas, commonly bathrooms and kitchens, in these instances you would also use a silicone with anti mould additive

Crank that is really helpful. I've always wondered what the vast array of products are and do and I now I feel more confident with them - makes perfect sense! I didn't want to go out and buy/use products that were the wrong ones for the job.

So you are saying that for the exteriors (seal the windows to the render) to use this:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...lding+Silicone+310ml+White/d180/sd2350/p56400

This stuff for bathrooms and kitchens (on the inside):
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dow-corning-785-white/58308

And this stuff for internals such as skirting, architrave etc (ready to paint over when dry):
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adh...ors Decorators Caulk 300ml/d180/sd3318/p43528

I think that's right?!

Correct, if you take your first link though you will find all you need if you scroll down, LMN, sanitary and caulk.

The last bit of advice i can give is do not buy own brand stuff like screwfix's no nonsense....its all rubbish, spend as much as you dare per tube, the results really will be different

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, thanks.

People swear by Dow Corning for sanitary silicone products don't they? I think that is the one to use EVERY TIME?

What did you think to the toolstation SX products I listed for the caulking and the building silicone?

Thanks again

Can't comment unfortunately as i've never used, all our mobile service engineers use eurocell for their van stock, used dow corning though and never been let down, just spend a little bit more per tube, steer clear of the 99p stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back