Seal between new black aluminium doors and white painted plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve just had an extension with aluminium (Crittal style) doors. The doors are black. I’m now painting all the new plasterboard and there are small gaps to fill around the edges where the skim coat meets the aluminium. Walls are being painted white. I’m guessing I need to use something like CT1 in the gaps rather than caulk but can’t work out whether to go black and then paint over with white or clear? What’s usual? White is probably impossible as there’s too many in and out bits on the doors and I envisage it being impossible to get a clean edge with masking tape and it’ll end up a total mess.

Sponsored Links
It should already be sealed as its an important part of the airtightness.

It is sealed within the outside opening and with expanding foam inside the cavity. This is to neaten up the edge against the plaster skim on the inside.

You could go with clear CT1, but I have seen that yellow slightly over time.

I would probably paint the walls first and then use low tack tape on the newly painted plaster and use black CT1.

I would recommend using a profiling tool though. It the CT1 is too thick where it meets the tape, as you pull the tape off you won't end up with a straight line.

Sponsored Links
It still needs sealing inside to be properly airtight, just use acryrub.

But I am sealing it on the inside- that’s why I’m asking which colour best to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back