Seal Replacement On Opening DG Windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've noticed recently that some of my double glazed opening windows are letting in a draught on windy days. I think it's the rubber surrounds that have lost their elasticity. Is it possible to replace them and if so where can I buy, presumably, a reel. Also, I take it this rubber is glued. What adhesive should I use? Thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

Sponsored Links
are you sure it's the seals?

If they are casements (open out) it's more likely the hinges are not closing tightly enough, or the cams on the locking mechanisms need adjusting a little.

Thanks for the reply The Bullet, I'll check that out. One thing, if your able to advise, what and where is the cam on the locking mechanism?

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

I might have jumped the gun, i'm assuming they are pvc windows. If they are these are cams, they turned by an allen key to tighten or slacken against the frame when the handle is thrown to lock position:
image002.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the reply The Bullet. I've taken one handle off and it looks like it works on the principal of riding up a plastic ramp fitted to the frame and pulling the window to the beading as the lever rides the plastic/pvc incline. Inherited these when we moved 3 years ago so they could be quite dated or am I missing something.

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

ok you've got cockspur handles (no it's not a medical term!)

you can replace the "plastic ramps" as you call it for thicker ones that will pull the sash tighter to the frame. this will only effect that side of the window, the tightness of the opposite side relies on the hinges.

Thanks once again for your input The Bullet. Hopefully one last question, where can I purchase the thicker ones from?

Best wishes from,

Gibson.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back