Sealant for grout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Just getting organised for fitting a new kitchen which will be high gloss white. Tiles will be bevel edge gloss black 200mm x100mm.
Trying to decide about fitting a splash back or tiling behind the hob but worried about keeping the grout brilliant white.
Is there a sealant which can be put over the grout?

To save me asking later any recommendations for a brilliant white grout?[/b]

Sponsored Links
If you’re thinking of a stainless steel splash back my advice it don’t; SS is a nightmare to keep clean & looking good & I posted on a similar thread recently. I had one & dumped it after less than a month & went with tiles; shame it wasn’t economically viable to dump the SS range cooker that came with it which is equally a nightmare to keep clean.

Epoxy grout is probably the best to use behind the cooker but it’s expensive & is more difficult to use. Alternatively go for an antibacterial grout & seal with Lithofin grout sealer. Only use quality trade tiling products, the own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

We had some safety glass made to size resting on the worktop upstand and clipped along the top. Works well for us and is easy to maintain.

I suppose you could consider doing the same thing which will protect the tiles and grout from splashes.

as richard says use an antibacterial grout. Granfix maxi grout is a very high white. follow this with a grout sealer.

The metro black is also going to be fun to clean (high gloss always is) so use a microfibre cloth with a good cleaner.

have you got the tiles yet?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Richard. You gave me good advice about 9 months ago when I was renovating the bathroom. Think you have put me off the stainless splashback.

tpt. Not got the tiles yet. Only need about 3m sq Have found them on tinternet but carriage spoils a good price. Will keep my eyes open for B&Q doing a 20% off weekend

yep that is the problem sometimes with small quantities. if you have a local tile shop give em a ring, at least then you'll get decent adhesive and grout. they may even internet price match or at least give you something off

if you have a local tile shop give em a ring, at least then you'll get decent adhesive and grout. they may even internet price match or at least give you something off
& that means local as in “independent”, not your local “Topps” who will *** the **** of you!

thats exactly what i meant - thanks richard.

Richard C";p="2126450 said:
if you have a local tile shop give em a ring, at least then you'll get decent adhesive and grout. they may even internet price match or at least give you something off
& that means local as in “independent”, not your local “Topps” who will *** the **** of you![/quote

Yes I know. Had that drummed into me 9 months age when you gave me advice about tiling the bathroom. :D
Will try local place first. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back