Sealed-off pipes - which is flow and which is return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of installing a UFH manifold in a cupboard that fortunately has two old pipes running through it from the boiler. They have been cut and sealed - obviously (I hope) an old connection to a radiator.

These would be ideal to use as flow and return to the UFH manifold, but I don't know which pipe is which - are there any tricks to find out? The pipes disappear through a wall and behind cabinets and so will be almost impossible to trace back to the original boiler connections.

Thanks,
Ed

Sponsored Links
Cut off the caps, and fit lever valves. Link the two together and see what gets hot first.

However.... depending on various things they may not provide enough heat/flow to run the UFH sufficiently.

Thanks - nice idea.....

Would you not need a reasonable amount of pipe between the two to be able to distinguish which gets hot sooner?

I am fazing in the UFH circuits in one by one as I refurb my entire downstairs. Therefore, initially I will only have a small load on the UFH, then later I will install full 22mm all the way to the manifold once I rip out the previously mentioned cabinets...

Sponsored Links
Just use a piece of barrier pipe, length of your choosing and create a suitable loop. You only need a foot or so. Get someone to turn the heating on whilst you hold the cold pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back