Sealed system irregular loss of pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over 2 years ago we had our old gravity fed system & hot water tank replaced with a combi boiler & all new rads.

initially the system lost pressure a couple of times fairly quickly & the installer adv possible leak in the existing hidden pipes --- most likely downstairs as no damp patches appeared on ceilings.

System stabilized fairly quickly and pending no further probs problem was put to one side.

Whilst never depressurising at anywhere the same rate, I have been seeing for some time a gradual loss at irregular levels. The worst loss being from 1.3 bar to 0.8bar in about 8 or 9 days. Sometimes there's no apparent loss for a period.

Also from time to time I have to bleed a rad to release air -- not a lot come out though before liquid.

I've done a simple check on the pressure outlet pipe & this seems ok. (tied plastic bag on & no fluid escaped.

I've checked all the rad connections & everywhere else that is accessible and all appeared sound & ok.

1 downstairs rad has a tendency to emit a sound reminiscent of trickleling water when the system is warming up from cold which stops when up to running temp. Also on initial start up there is a 'bubbling' or similar noise coming from the general pipework in one particular area that lasts for no more than 15 seconds. Apart from this the system runs quietly & efficiently.

The obvious answer is a small leak somewhere that perhaps 'opens & closes' - if thats possible. Assuming it's under the ground floor, is there any way of locating this other by trial & error? -- or this any other other possible explanation?

Any help very welcome.

Sponsored Links
you could add "leak sealer" it may help, if you bleed a rad the pressure is going to drop ,sorry for pointing out the obvious

Thanks ----- yes I do realise the pressure will drop if I bleed a rad but I've been seeing a reduction without doing any.

Re Leak sealer ----- I tend to think these are a bit like using radweld in a car radiator, works perhaps for a while but def not permanent. Also I've been advised against using these with a condensing boiler due to the 'sensitive' heat exchanger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back