Sealed system pressure loss

Just a solid tank m8, stop taps at inlet & outlet, with pressure gauge at the top, bled & sealed

Sponsored Links
I am not a physicist but am just wondering how much water is needed to be further crammed into the tank once it is full to raise the pressure to 3 bar. I would think it is very little indeed. I would think, as mentioned, temperature is critical as would be atmospheric pressure.
What about when you fill the tank with very cold water from the mains which chills the cylinder, copper presumably, to the same temperature. So, at the outset, you have a cold and full cylinder at 3 bar. Lets say it is at mains temperature of 5 degrees. Then as the temperature increases to room temperature or even what you call cold, lets say 15 degrees then both the water and the tank will expand at different rates. Is the coefficient of linear expansion of copper greater than that of water so that the volume of the tank once warmed up is greater than the volume of the water ?

What happens if, now the temperature is stable, you add just sufficient water to get back to 3 bar and then wait again and see what happens.

andytw

• Thanks
Reactions: SMG
Sponsored Links
Yes, I see now how the temp could be a factor, forgot all about C of LE, learned that 40 years ago, I think now its stable i`l re boost it to max (3 bar mains) & wait & see. The only place I can imagine water leaking is into the heating coils, so i`l test it again.

If it drops again I think I might open the outlet valve, let it stabilise, & rig an air line into the heating coils & put about 6 psi in it.

If no air bubbles out of the top i`l be happy. Wont take me long to rig an air line up.

Thanks to all of you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back