Sealed system, replace pressure gauge without draining down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Probably the stupidest question in a while so feel free to say so!

A freak accident in the garage (falling timber) knocked the front off the boiler pressure gauge (needle and plastic front and the spindle the needle fits to).

I have a replacement gauge and it is obviously a very simple job to unscrew one and screw in the new one. Except, of course the system is pressurised so if I don't drain down then high pressure water will squirt out, briefly.

Is it doable though? Anyone tried? I hate draining down and refilling and am trying to avoid it if this is doable.

Sponsored Links
With a sealed system, you only need to drain about a gallon or two before there is no pressure left in the system. You could even open a bleed valve on a rad and let it run until it stops. Don’t forget to retighten the bleed screw. Then, change your gauge and repressurise the system. Job done.

Thanks guys. It is a WB Greenstar 24i and it does have a drain cock at the bottom of it (the only one I can find on the system so have used that to drain down before). I'll have a go at draining a bit out and see how much pressure there is when I unscrew the gauge.

Sponsored Links
make sure you cover the electronics , you dont want water going in there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back