Sealed unit replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been given a patio door (the type with two doors that open like conventual doors) which have been stored outside behind a shed for 8 years. I wanted to use them & some other UPVC bits to replace the rear of my garage which is currently made of wood & getting tatty. The door frame was stored with the sealed units removed & they & the door frame were covered in mud. One of the sealed units is full of condensation & is growing crystals from the metal spacer bar. I have been quoted £72 for a repalcement sealed unit (1905mm x 420mm) which seems expensive to me & might change my plans on what I do. Is it possible to do it cheaper & possibly DIY seperating the sealed unit, cleaning & then re-sealing? I do not need the double glassing properties but just need it to look nice!

Any help appreciated

Mark

Sponsored Links
There's nothing to lose by trying the DIY approach, as the door was free. I guess the units are manufactured with a dry inert gas filling, but if you can get the unit apart you could add some silica gel before re-sealing it.

Do you have a local glass unit place? If so cut the unit open and clean up the glass as best you can then get them to make a new unit with the old glass. £40-45 of that price will be the toughened glass.
Very unlikely you can save the spacer bars and your going to need several stanley blades and a good quality knife

Sponsored Links
If it's only for the back of the garage why put units in at all, how about infill panels or even 3/4 inch ply finished off with some hollow soffit silicone to it, obviously the ply thickness depends the thickness of the units

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back