sealer, bonding primer, primer, stabiliser, basecoat... ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

What is the very best way to prepare bare plaster (not new, previously painted or wallpapered but now stripped) and bare plasterboard (the white stuff sandwiched between grey/brown paper) for painting ?

Do the terms sealer, bonding primer, primer, stabiliser...etc have different meanings or are they basically the same thing? how do these differ to products labeled as 'undercoat' and 'basecoat'? or a watered down first coat (with maybe some PVA mixed in)? It seems on the back of most paint cans in the DIY store they normally only mention doing a watered down first coat if the surface is porous.

After past mistakes I now realise just how important the first coat is. Hence I want to get the very best foundation for painting and I'm trying to get my head around these different terms :confused:.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do the terms sealer, bonding primer, primer, stabiliser...etc have different meanings or are they basically the same thing?

Totally different.

The most important thing for you is making sure those plaster walls are completly 100% free from any paste residue,,,it wont matter what paint you put over it as a first coat, it will be off in no time if the walls havnt been scrubbed free of paste.

Stay way from PVA its an old wifes tail and doesnt work..in fact it will cause you more grief

Once the walls are clean then you can use a thinned coat of vinyl matt first...the vinyl matt will stick a bit better than non vinyl.

Fill where the walls need it...rub down the whole wall then re coat...youl probably need to thin the paint a little.

As for the plasterboard wall...line it first...you wont be able to scrub it clean without wrecking the surface.

Personally id line the whole lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back