Sealer, primer, or mist coat bare and old plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed 2 layers of wallpapers and a layer of lining paper, it revealed a grey plaster that was originally from the 60s. I have repaired imperfections and cleaned the wall the best ability I can.

I know that bare plaster wall should be mist coated first, but I am not confident the wall is completely adhesive-free as the lining paper was there for 50+ years. Also, there are 2cm of paints near the edge of skirting board, door frame, and ceiling. The paint can't be cleaned off by acetone so it's not water-based.

Can anyone advise how to proceed with painting the wall please. It appears the white paint on wall edges are on all walls in this house. Can I use mist coat in combination with a sealer such as Gardz? ie, mist coat most areas and use Gardz in painted or problem areas?

IMG_8602.JPG
IMG_8605.JPG

Sponsored Links
If you are not certain all the paste has been removed (you can only tell when the wall was wet being washed/scrubbed) then use Gardz. Do not worry about the edges that have oil based paint, if you use a quality trade emulsion it will adhere on the oil paint as long as you don't go testing it with a wet scrubbing pad.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back