Sealing a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We had a conservatory put on our house and now that the cold weather is setting in we've noticed that it is quite draughty in there. Having traced the draught, it appears that there is a gap on all three sides of the conservatory where the roof meets the top of the 'wall' frame. Is this gap intentional to allow ventillation into the conservatory? Or would it be fine for me to fill the gap with sealant to stop the draught. I don't expect the conservatory to be warm during the winter, but with a wind blowing through its very cold in there and I think sealing this gap up would make it a lot better.

Sponsored Links
Just use a frame frame sealant in a caulking gun. Try to get one to match your bricks rather than using white as it's easy to smear it all over the brickwork but easy to wipe brown off the frame.

Joe - the gap is between the uPVC frame of the conservatory 'wall' and the polycarb panels on the roof so no need to worry about getting sealant on the stonework of the house.

So you don't think the gap is required for ventilation purposes? And therefore it'd be ok to seal it up with sealant?

It sounds like the polycarb sheets have slipped a bit. They shouldn't be draughty.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Joe, so long as i'm not gonna cause problems by closing up the gap because its supposed to be there. I'll have a look a bit closer and try and figure out how and why we've got a draught and get it stopped!

You may get some condensation but if you ddo leave a window open, ours is sealed beween the window panels and the roof panels.

There should be no gaps or draughts. Normally, there is a foam/rubber eaves filler between the frame and sheets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back