sealing a damp surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago I formed what is going to be a water trap that I had intended to paint out with bitumen as a sealer. Unfortunately it is not going to dry out enough to paint with bitumen at this time of year. Any suggestions of what else i could use, or should I just dry it out as best I can with the heat gun and then paint it ?

Sponsored Links
It would be interesting to know what you're up to, but a treatment called Evercryl, from MKM, is Acrypol by another name. A fibrous paint or troweling mix, it can be applied wet, it says on the can.
I've waterproofed a brick parapet with it, and it was brilliant.......there's no way I could have used a flashing of any kind.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It is a difficult one for me to explain; I have formed part of the edge of a garden pond in hollow concrete blocks (220*220*440mm) one of these blocks I have formed into a trap with cement to take away excess water. It was my initial intention to paint the inside of the block with bitumen to make it watertight.

Unfortunately it wont dry out, I guess what is happening is, the reservoir of cold water is lowering the temperature of the block and any air in contact with the surface I wish to paint is condensing out, hence the permanent damp feel.

If it's a water run off channel, does it need to be painted?
I doubt if you'd ever get it dry, other than in mid summer.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back