sealing together damp-proof membranes before laminate floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am going to lay laminate flooring on a concrete floor. There is potential for dampness, as there are damp spots along the edges where the asphalt meets the walls (1905 end-terrace house).

I have bought the damp-proof membrane (sheets), and the seller gave me a few rolls of std double-sided tape saying that "it should work" and that he wasnt familiar with damp-proofing before laying laminate on this type of floor. The tape doesnt "look" capable of doing this job - the adhesive might fail after an year or less.

What would you suggest? I have considered using a bitumen paint/latex paint that is used on roofs (isoflex??). I was thinking of painting the 20cm overlap between the sheets with this stuff before pressing them together. Is it going to stink?will it break down the polyethene sheets? how about flashing tape? do they do double sided versions of these?

Many thanks for any info. :)

Sponsored Links
You could try using silicone sealant, it wont break down and after it has "gone off" it sticks very well and will not harm polythene, but make sure it is silicone sealant not just sealant

splendid idea! (especially as I have a 12-pack of surplus silicon sitting around!).

Any votes on other solutions before I go with Breezer on this?

Sponsored Links
Try and stop the dampness first if you can,all you're doing is buying time.Is it coming from outside wall ? Rain draining to it ? DPC (Damp proof Course) damaged ? Membrane under floorscreed damaged ? Can be repairs if you know where coming from ! Remember if it damp nothing will stick to it ! Failing that there are some bitumen material which you can put on damp floorscreed which they normally use for concrete pond etc, then use silicone sealant on polyethene sheets overlap as breezer notes,Good luck....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back