Sealing a Flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

First post here. I have an old boiler that had been labelled as 'at risk' due to the flue not being sealed. This was found following an external gas leak. I know little about gas regs and I was told to cpntact an engineer to have it checked but I have a three week wait.

Our boiler is a floorstanding Mexico with a flexi flue that runs vertically up three floors of disused chimney. I can only access the front of the boiler due to stonework/plasterboard blocking all other access however, I managed to stick a camera in a hole and noticed that the flue runs up the chimney with no 'plate' filling the void between flue and brickwork. The pic will explain it better.

Is it essential to have a seal in this area ? If so is its purpose to keep the exhaust fumes from returning to a sealed room in a backdraft? What meterial is it made of?

Thanks for any help. I am considering all options as if I do need to fit a seal then the boiler will have to come out anyway....... and I may aswell get a new one.

J

Sponsored Links
Rock wool will do it but technically if thats all it needs its NCS not at risk so can be used

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back