Sealing a metal roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just bought a house near Dumfries, that has a metal shed/lean to, attached to the external wall of the house. It's really handy, BUT there's a huge gap between the metal roof, and the wall, so everything inside gets wet (obviously!) when it rains. How can I seal the gap, and make it weatherproof? I've included pics of the "shed" and the gap. Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_6154.JPG
    IMG_6154.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_6155.JPG
    IMG_6155.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_6156.JPG
    IMG_6156.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_6157.JPG
    IMG_6157.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 293
Sponsored Links
Flashing
They (the roof manufacturer) may do a folded metal section that you could chase into the wall

Thanks for both your replies.
It's just a corrugated metal roof, so I think getting someone to come and do that (flashing) would cost more than buying a new shed! Was hoping for a DIY solution, but maybe that's not an option.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for both your replies.
It's just a corrugated metal roof, so I think getting someone to come and do that (flashing) would cost more than buying a new shed! Was hoping for a DIY solution, but maybe that's not an option.

You can buy stick on flashing on a roll, but how well it might stick to that wall is difficult to tell. Its made from some sort of plastic. I used some around ten years ago and its still going strong.

I wonder why it was built with such a wide gap between it and the wall?

Those metal roofs are prone to condensation so the gap may have been left on purpose.

That's why the flashing solder for the corrugated roof is basically a straight bit of metal, folded to meet the wall, but leaving each lower section open.

An abutment flashing to suit the profile of the roof sheeting, with a lead flashing turned into the wall and dressed over the upstand of the abutment flashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back