Sealing a soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced the old rubbery sealant that connects the ceramic pipe from the toilet to the plastic soil pipe with normal bathroom, kitchen white sealant. This seems to let water through even though its water resistant. I then tried the black gutter sealant which dries much quicker and it seemed to work for a day at least. It has started to crack a bit and already a little water is getting through.

Should i keep layering it on or is there a better product out there for this job ? I must say that the unibond sealant is very poor quality for general finishing. I sealed where the kitchen sink meets the wall which after a few weeks shrunk and now looks terrible. The product states that it is anti mould and anti shrink. If anyone could recommend a product for this job too that lasts i would be most grateful.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like you need a new pan connector rather than re-bodging it with silicone. Really silicone is designed to keep water out not in, but if you really want to re-bodge it, try some black aquarium silicone, that my work for you.

Yes i was thinking of the actual connector but the one already fitted doesn't look damaged or even perished. Even with a new one don't you still have to seal them with something or is it the rubber on the connector that seals it ?

The connector shoukd be self sealing. Ive never had trouble with mcapline connectors.

Unless yoy take the existing one off you won't be able to tell what state its in.

Sponsored Links
Ok. Thanks, i will take your advice and just get a new one. The actual incoming connector from outside is lead ! Thoug the leak isnt coming from that to be fair.

As there are so many connectors I can't quite decide which one to get. In the meantime the dripping has got worse, even through the black gutter seal ! Surely black gutter sealant is designed to keep water tight.

A picture of your toilet connector would be a help Marb. Is there a fall on the toilet connector or is the connector and pipe rising up from the pan spigot?

I know it looks a pig's ear but this is what we inherited when we moved in. The out pipe is lead. The black band is my sealing with black gutter seal. It's holds for a few days but obviously I need a better solution.

Looking at it wouldn't the 14 degree angle be too much of a slope ? Again, couldn't I seal it with plumber's putty ?

Thanks.

All I would suggest Marb is that sealing a toilet spigot with anything but the seal inside the coupling isn't, in my experience, very effective. You can try putty but I wouldn't hold out much hope.
Putty is more for the part of the coupler that goes into the lead rather than the end that fits around the spigot. If the angle isn't as great as 14 Deg then the flexi pipe would do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back