Sealing a worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way of sealing a worktop to a tiled wall in a kitchen?
I would use silicone but my wife doesn't like it because it's difficult to wipe clean apparently (i.e. bits stick to it).
Is there something better to use, or should we fit an upstand?
An upstand will presumably also need sealing, but I guess that because it's a joint between two machined/smooth faces there will be no sealant visible.
Mike

Sponsored Links
silicone, silicone silicone! doesn't need to be a massive bead, and if you go clear you'll hardly notice it.

any strip will collect far more bits than silicone, and it'll look c**p too

Unsure what’s caused your wife’s previous experience of silicone but it bears no resemblance to any product I’ve ever used or experience in my own kitchen where I do a large proportion of the cooking & cleaning up afterwards! You won’t beat a quality anti-bacterial silicone bead for appearance (providing it’s done properly) or hygiene. The gap between the tiles & worktop should only be 2-3mm & the bead as small as possible.

You can buy pre-formed up stands to match worktops & you used to be able to get plastic quadrant up stand with a rubber seal on each edge but not seen them for a while. Many years ago I also made up stands from hard wood triangle profile covered with laminate but that’s rather old fashioned & time consuming.

Wife probably means the over paintable sealant that can be used in wet areas, its got a strong adhesive content and grabs the fluff of clothes when wiped.Silicon does not do this.

Sponsored Links
I used 'Forever White' (actually ivory) silicone sealant from Toolstation. Admittedly the gap filled around the work tops in the utility room is big in places due to the flatness of the tiled surface, but hopefully I'll be able to get a neat uniform gap.
Silicone it is then (as I thought it would be!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back