Advice on sealing gap between kitchen worktop + tiled wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to seal the gap between my laminate kitchen worktop and the tiled wall. I believe the gap is larger than it should really be, in places around 9mm. I tried using the sealant strip you can get which you just stick on, but it looks cheap.

So any tips on the best way to seal this with out the sealant just dissappearng down the back when i first apply it?

Cheers for any feedback :D

Sponsored Links
If the worktop stops short of the tiles and you have a horizontal gap, then you really should fix a filler to the back of the worktop then use some coloured silicone, carefully applied with masking tape.

Or cut the back of the worktops so they are all flush with the tiles.

If the tiles stop too high, use a piece of quadrant to hide the gap, which you can paint to match.

Thanks

Steve: The tiles do stop to short of the worktop yes

When you refer to 'quadrant' you mean a strip of narrow wood, similar to that which you use to finish off the edge of laminate floors?

Thanks Joe thats an option

Cheers

Sponsored Links
When you refer to 'quadrant' you mean a strip of narrow wood, similar to that which you use to finish off the edge of laminate floors?
I'm in the same boat as my kitchen walls join at a different 90 degree angle to the 90 degree angle the worktops join at in the corner, so I have a gradually increasing gap getting on for 10mm over a 1800mm long worktop.

I bought an upstand specifically in preparation for this sort of problem, but because the tiles are parallel with the wall/windowsill and the worktop is actually level, the top of the upstand would run close to a horizontal grout line and make it really obvious the house was built by someone with a drunken spirit level.

So instead I'm covering the gap with 15mm light oak scotia, (like quadrant but concave rather than convex), which is reasonably cheap from my local woodyard and doesn't sit high enough against the tiles that the difference in 'level' is too apparent.

Cheers Ricardus

i'll have a shufty around some DIY centre see what i can find.

My walls are also not flat enough to get away with an upstand

Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back