gap between worktop and tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a laminate worktop replaced by granite. As the granite is not as thick it has left me with a gap of about 9mm between the worktop and the wall tiles. Can anyone please advise on the best way to fill or cover up this gap.

Sponsored Links
Yuk. Hate cold hard granite. What they should have done is raise the unit legs to bring the whole lot up higher.

Thank you both for your replies. Granite upstands were suggested by the supplier, but it seemed they could only supply a standard height which meant removing or covering the bottom row of tiles. I have two x 1.8m long windows which have their sills about 16cm above the worktop, so this would have left a very narrow strip of the original tiles below them, which I don't think would have worked.

I did ask about raising the height of the base units but was told it wasn't possible. The two ends of the run of units have tall units, the tops of which are level with the tops of wall units and fly over shelves (over the two windows), so everything would have to be raised. The tiling is below and around the wall units and up to the underside of the flyover shelves, so it would have left me with the same gap at the top. I would also have had to have new plinths as the existing ones would not be tall enough.

I have since seen on line a narrow pencil border tile in travertine which should match with the wall tiles. Although this would project a little more than the tiles, it is rounded so I think it would be all right. Do you think that would be a good solution?

Sponsored Links
Your solution is fine.

But for reference: when you want to drop or pick up on a panel of wall tiles you can insert a course of decorative tiles - mosaic strips work well.
When the tile is already on the wall then a tile course usually has to be pulled and cut to suit to allow space for the decorative course.

This works well for either raising the top or dropping the bottom course but it can also be used to meet irregular grout lines at intermediate abutments.

The sample arrived today and I think it will look fine.
thank you all for your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back