1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Sealing area around pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by joec_85, 19 Feb 2021.

1. joec_85

joec_85

Thanks Received:
    Ireland
    We have a lean-to which contains a bathroom (I think it was previously an external bathroom but that the lean-to was built around it). We also keep our washing machine in there.

I was installing a new washing machine drain when I noticed that the waste pipe drops drops down to the drain under the lean-to via a rather large hole in the floor, which I imagine is letting fumes back up (and making my lovely new P trap quite pointless).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gap is about 1-2cm wide, all the way around the pipe and I can see the drain beneath.

I was just wondering what the best way to fill this might be? I had considered expanding foam but wasn't sure whether it would just fall down into the drain underneath without some kind of support. Will just spraying the areas that I want it to stick to with water be enough?

Last edited: 19 Feb 2021
  2. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Foam filler.

Andy

3. Sponsored Links
  4. joec_85

joec_85

Thanks Received:
    Ireland
    Cheers Andy, do I need to back it with anything first or just spray the pipe with water so that it sticks?

5. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just foam it up, then cut it flush after 24hrs. (don't use too much, it does grow)

Andy

6. Sponsored Links