Sealing around a bath with a big gap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had somebody in to put a brand new bath in our bathroom and basically the guy has left the bath moving too much as he hasn't fixed it properly to the wall. We have tried numerous times to seal around with silicone but it always fails in the corner where the movement is most. I have silicone bath tape as well but that comes off. I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Lloyd

Sponsored Links
screw to wall, screw legs to floor, half fill bath with water,THEN silicon, leave water in for about 4 hrs,or even longer if you can, then drain the water, the bath should then have a water tight seal around it

Check the feet under the bath, are they all tight to the floor and is there a middle let (depending on bath type) if not get them tightened and level.

Fill the bath with water and before sealing, make sure the bath edge and other edge is thoroughly clean and dry.

Apply and level sealer and leave overnight before emptying the bath.

Do you have any pictures of the problem?

Sponsored Links
Thank-you for your replies. The bath legs have been fixed down, tightened and are level. There is too much movement in the corner of the bath and it increases the gap by about 1cm when we fill up with water. I already did as some of you have suggested, with the filling of the bath prior to sealing, and the leaving of water in the bath for a few hours, but this problem is still reoccurring. Basically, I am at my wits end because I really don't want anymore people coming in to 'sort' the problems the first bathroom fitter created. I would really like to sort this out myself. I have even inserted blocks underneath to stop the movement but I couldn't reach the corner. Is there any sort of expanding sealant that I might be able to use?

i know this may sound a bit extreme mate, BUT can you not remove the bath, and fit a length of 3-4mm angle bar, along wall, ( bath width end) so that when the bath is put in place, the framework underneath the bath sits onto the angle bar,then you can screw the bath to it, that should stop any movement, then just connect the pipe work back up and the whole job should only take about 2 hrs at most.Hope this is of some help to you.
Forgot to add, pre drill holes in the angle bar,say every 3-4"
Hope this is of some help to you

yes they will allow signature but not advertising. thought they would of seen it by now unless you've just put it on. ;)

OP - Any movement anywhere along the seal line is too much movement!

The flexibility of the sealant is only really meant to take up things like thermal expansion, so if you can't get in there to fix the bath properly, it will have to come out again.

It is common to fit bearers under the bath feet to spread the load over as many floor joists as possible if there's a wooden floor under the bath - even more so if the floor is chipboard!

Level and fix a stout batten securely to the walls for the bath to 'hang' from, screw through the batten into the rail on the underside of the bath, then adjust the undercarriage so each leg takes it's share of the load before fixing the feet down.

If the bathtub isn't particularly rigid of itself, some extra timber framing behind the bath panel can help.

screw to wall, screw legs to floor, half fill bath with water,THEN silicon, leave water in for about 4 hrs,or even longer if you can, then drain the water, the bath should then have a water tight seal around it
good idea! this will helpful to fix the bath.

any one can suggest that which type of seal must be placed in damaging the bath tub?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back