Sealing Bath Waste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am currently refitting our bathroom and have a question regarding the bath waste. the new bath is steel and the bath waste is this one...

ae235

...from Screwfix.

Both the plughole and the overflow parts have a white foam sealing gasket to seal between the chrome part and the bath tub. Should I rely on this foam gasket or should I discard it completely and seal with some silicone instead.

I'm just not too convinced that the foam gasket is adequate.

Any advice gratefully received.

Russell

Sponsored Links
Lose the foam gasket, and get a good squidge of silicone in there, so it squashes out nicely when the fitting is tightened.
John :)

As per Burnerman

When the waste has bitten down and the silicone squidgies out the side, give a light spray with a degreasant like Mr muscle, finish tightening waste and then wipe around edge with finger on to kitchen towel to get rid of excess.

Stops the silicone making a mess and leaves a clean finish

Lose the foam gasket, and get a good squidge of silicone in there, so it squashes out nicely when the fitting is tightened.
John :)

Thanks John, that's what I thought but just wanted confirmation.

edit: Thanks terrydoh as well. sorry your post appeared while I was replying.

Sponsored Links
As terry Says, everything is cr*p these days and its up to the plumber to put it right unfortunately.

Do you also put silicone on the rubber washer that sits on the underneath of the bath and the waste?

I do too, just heard some one mention if you put silicone both sides it can stop the rubber from bitting and it can slide out of precision

Eeerrmm

Slide it back in :p

Once it's set, it's going nowhere

Do get a few calls for leaks under baths where the bath waste isn't siliconed and its worked appart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back