Sealing chipboard prior to paint advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought an internal door (factory primed) that I thought was solid pine but after taking 18ml off either side with a bench saw, it revealed a chipboard core. Although the raw chipboard is on the hinge side and not really noticeable it is not my way of doing DIY, but the man who was paid to hang it used a plane to take a little more off and it is rough to say the least. I have always done my own work in the house but ill health prevents me from doing my own home improvements.

My request for help is: I would like to build the edge up so it will take a coat of paint and look decent, so what is the best method and substance to use.
Thanks for all help.

Sponsored Links
plane it a bit more and stick on a door lipping

these are sold loose for that very purpose, and are not supposed to be fixed until you have finished cutting down the door.

Thanks JohnD I appreciate your advuice, but I was hoping for a solution that I would be able to manage. That is, without taking the door off, because they are pre-glazed and too heavy for me.

Thanks JohnD I appreciate your advuice, but I was hoping for a solution that I would be able to manage. That is, without taking the door off, because they are pre-glazed and too heavy for me.

unfortunatle you have 2 choices take it off and do it properly :rolleyes: :cry:

or fill and paint hoping the random grain movement wont be to obviouse

those sorts of doors are only supposed to have about 9mm knocked off
and 13mm is about the max for a "normal "door

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back