Sealing Chipboard with dilute PVA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just coated my loft flooring which is chipboard with dilute PVA (approx. 20/80 mix) prior to painting with Multi Surface Durable Paint from B&Q. I want to turn loft into organised storage area with fitted racking at one end and craft workroom for my wife at the other end. I read online that chipboard must be sealed with pva prior to painting, however have just read an answer in DIYnot that says that wood must not be treated with pva as it will just sit on the surface and not adhere. Does this apply to Chipboard? If it does how can I neutralise pva?

Sponsored Links
Wash it off? which will ruin the chipboard.

Can you sand it off? (wear a mask).

There is a risk of the paint chipping off but unless you want so sand all of the chipboard I would suggest that you just cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I am not familiar with the paint you used, I suspect that it might not be suitable for floors anyway though. Sorry, my advice would be to use a proper decorators' merchant in future rather than a DIY shed that is staffed by extras from the Walking Dead.

Again, sorry, that probably comes across as a very catty remark. I understand why people go to the DIY sheds but their products are often over priced and inferior. Most, but not all, of the staff know very little about the products they sell.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back