Sealing chipboard, yes or no?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying a new floor in my utility including new floor joists. The intention is to put tile backers on the chipboard before laying ceramic tiles.

Sound I seal the new chipboard with a water resistant finish like water seal or varnish or will the adhesive used to lay the backers on be sufficient? BTW, the floor has been insulated with 100mm celotex and all joins and joists covered in aluminium foil tape.

Sponsored Links
So I assume the answer to my question is no. Sealing properly around the backer boards will do the job. Or should I put some SBR down first?

I don't see any harm in using SBR first. It is a very cheap product but if you use the polyurethane glue, and use it properly, it should not be required.

PU glue expands (a bit like expanding foam) and creates a water resistant seal.

Sponsored Links
We’ve changed our minds, going to fit vinyl click flooring instead. It says it is 100% waterproof but I’d still like to seal the chipboard first. Is SBR the best product for this or should I look at a solvent based solution?

We’ve changed our minds, going to fit vinyl click flooring instead. It says it is 100% waterproof but I’d still like to seal the chipboard first. Is SBR the best product for this or should I look at a solvent based solution?

Belt and braces- tank it.

I will defer to others to recommend a tanking solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back