Sealing cut edge of hardwood ply in contact with utility floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of building kitchen units for our utlilty room. I'm building kitchen cabinets so that i can accommodate our existing non integrated washing machine and tumble dryer.

The sides of the kitchen units are made from hardwood 18mm plywood which i have scribed and cut to follow the floor. I don't expect water on the floor of the utility, but just in case i'd like to seal the cut edge of the ply where it rests on the floor.

Any suggestions on what to use? I've got some shellac knotting fluid which i though would work, but wondered if anyone has any better suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
thinned polyurethane followed by more varnish?
I think PVA works as well

thinned polyurethane followed by more varnish?
I think PVA works as well
Yeah, I always use yacht varnish thinned like pi$$ with cellulose thinners for cut edges of chipboard and mdf on kitchen units etc.It soaks in fast an goes off quick before the wood has a chance to swell.

Sponsored Links
Plastic U channel clipped on bottom edge .
That suggestion led me to search for plastic u channel and found that some people use gorrilla tape on the bottom edge, which seems like quite a good idea.

adjustable plastic legs are the correct thing. Takes the wood off the damp floor; adjustable for uneven surface. You can put a detachable plinth as an ornament and to prevent things rolling into the gap, and scribe it if you like.

s-l225.webp

very cheap on ebay. lots of people have sackfulls of the things left over.

adjustable plastic legs are the correct thing. Takes the wood off the damp floor; adjustable for uneven surface. You can put a detachable plinth as an ornament and to prevent things rolling into the gap, and scribe it if you like.

s-l225.webp

very cheap on ebay. lots of people have sackfulls of the things left over.
I think he is boarding to floor to seperate white goods.

Is there any reason not to make the units shorter and fit them in legs
I’m tight on space so haven’t got the width to fit legs in.

I’m using the ply to form the sides of each unit, but covering the front edge with solid wood. There will be a plinth at the base, but flush with the frame of the unit with the doors inset and not face mounted.

I think he is boarding to floor to seperate white goods.
Exactly, but The separating panels won’t be visible as the run of units has walls at either end and will be solid wood faced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back