What's best for new flooring? Ply, MDF, Chip, Floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Firstly, wasn't sure wether to put this here or in the floors section - hope I made the right choice :)

I want to pull up all the old floorboards in our upstairs rooms.

They are all old floorbards, and have split, cracked, been cut when heating was fitted etc. As such they now all squeek, bounce and are pretty uneven.

What is best to replace them with and what thickness? I also want to screw them down to stop nail creep - is this a good idea or not? Good underlay and carpet will go back on top when it has all been finished.

Also, the current floorboards are about 13-14mm thick and run "under" the interior walls and skirting. What's the best way to get round this if I use a thicker replacement (say 18mm hardwood ply)? Do I just butt-up to the skirting or do I route the edges to fit it under? If I could get away with 12mm hardwood ply? That would be great because it would pretty much be a straight swap and would slot in under the skirting!

Lastly, is this something that a non-DIY-savvy beginner can do with a bit of help from a pretty handy Dad? :)

Ultimately, I want to get as flat and quiet (ie no squeaking) a floor as possible.

Cheers,

Face

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, it would mean replacing most of them as they are all pretty much split and crack - peices are even missing of the edges so that in some places there are gaps of 5mm or so between boards.

I think I'd just be happier with a new proper floor. I'd only need about £50 of flooring-grade plywood to do the job (smallish room).

But would 12mm be suitable? The joists are about 450mm apart. I could probably get away with 15mm as a straight replacement, but 18mm would be slightly problematic when I get to doorways as then my bedroom floor would be a few mill higher than the floors in the en-suite and the landing?

Any ideas,

Thanks again,

Face

Sponsored Links
I am in the same situation as yourself. Although I have two large rooms to re-floor to your one.

My understanding is that there are regs that require you to use at least 18mm as the thickness of the new flooring. Less than that could be unlawful.

I am still deciding what material to buy and will probably get marine ply or flooring ply with tongue groove.

I thought I would paste a post here from the flooring forum which is helpful.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=667669#667669

hi this is just a suggestion but you could repair roughly and screw squeeky boards then screw 6mm ply over the top screws spaced at 6 inches or 150 mm . other than that i would replace with chipboard t and g flooring at least you know its made for the job . 18 mm ply wouldnt be able to join to the next board and depending on how close they are could squeek when you stand on a join ... hope that helps
mart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back