Sealing MFC for bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an MFC textured woodgrain vanity unit: https://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/n ... t-arn2505d

Our bathroom has high humidity and no extractor.

I doubt very much that this vanity will make it through the winter without sealing - I have no idea what to seal it with. Also, I will be buying a dehumidifier to offset the lack of extractor fan.

I have leftover Zinsser Perma-White satin (that I used on the bathroom ceiling) that I could use on the exposed chipboard (see picture), but I was hoping that I could use some kind of clear varnish or sealer on the woodgrain effect melamine to help protect further against moisture/humidity and prevent the vanity from blowing/warping/deforming. Help!
:dunno:

Attachments

• Vanity.JPG
    Vanity.JPG
    403.1 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
Exposed chipboard edges absolutely need to be thoroughly sealed with an impervious material. I'd suggest a good coat of silicone sealant or 2 to 3 coats of oil-based gloss paint or varnish in areas that can't be seen. Forget about water-based anything, though, regardless of brand or price - water is the great enemy.

Don't bother with the melamine. The melamine is a waterproof thermosetting plastic with a very amooth surface and will probably be more durable than any coating you can apply. In any case, I suspect that many lacquers will either not adhere to it or will bubble off; it's worth noting that when overpainting kitchens (which have MFC carcasses) it is essential to sand the surfaces before painting in order to provide a mechanical key for any coating. If you don't sand it the coating tends to peel or bubble off prematurely

Thanks for taking the time to reply JobAndKnock. According to the manufacturer, the exposed chipboard has already been sealed:

From that link, it states "Any exposed carcass components have been treated to prevent any water ingress"

I agree, I'll have difficulty getting any kind of adhesion to the malamine. I'll leave that alone. Fingers crossed the unit lasts a few years!

Sponsored Links
A dehumidifier won’t cope with the rate moisture is produced in a bathroom, you need an extractor fan also cheaper to buy and run than dehumidifier.Better to solve a problem than try to accommodate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back